Safety Cables qualified for applications in Nuclear Power Plants
Independently of the choice of primary energy, each power station requires high quality and reliable power-, control- and instrumentation cables.
The main requirements include :
Power stations using nuclear energy as primary energy are no exception to this rule.
- conformity to the typical specifications of the power station
- conformity to national and local regulations
- an expected lifetime equivalent to the design life of the power station
- perfect reliability during the complete lifetime
- operational safety
- good environmental characteristics
- resistance to technical incidents (overload, short-circuit, ...)
- resistance to accidents (inundation, ...)
- enhanced properties in case of fire
With regards to the important and long-term risks for human life, nature and environment in case of a breakdown or accident in such installations, the preventive and safety measures have to be even more extensive than in a "conventional" power station.
For this reason, - and absolutely independent from the nuclear process itself -, all materials to be used in a nuclear power station are subject to even more strict standards and regulations in order to :
- assure optimum operation performance during the complete lifetime
- minimize the risk of becoming the source of an accident
- limit damages in case of an accident
- resist in case of an accident, while maintaining full functionality and contribute in that way to keep the emergency situation under control
KABELWERK EUPEN's "nuclear" cables have been developed and are distributed in accordance with those demanding standards, putting the focus on a high level of safety performance in normal operation as well as under accident conditions.
On top of enhanced internal quality control procedures, those products and productions are often subject to quality inspections by the client or third party inspectors commissioned by the client. In many cases, they are part of national institutes in charge of nuclear safety in the corresponding country.
We are convinced that this is part of KABELWERK EUPEN's contribution to solve the world's energy problems, by offering highly reliable products with a high safety standard for application in modern power stations, particularly in NPP's.